Oil & Gas / Energy Case Experience
Broad experience in oil and gas matters — exploration, drilling, processing, transportation, and refining.
- royalty disputes
- surface damage, ground water, lease expiration, title disputes, etc.
- development/drilling obligation
- joint operating agreements (accounting for costs; reasonableness of costs and/or
operator decisions; forfeiture of interests; etc.)
- producer vs pipeline
- seismic data
- inter-refinery supply agreements – steam, electricity, and hydrocarbons
- co-generation agreements between refiner and co-generator
- area-of-mutual-interest agreements
- preferential rights
- override agreements
- farmout agreements
- refinery’s economic loss due to pipeline failure
- gas processing agreements
- product supply agreements (take-or-pay; output contracts; requirements
contracts; pricing issues; force majeure issues, etc.)
- trade secrets and patents concerning drilling technology
- wireline services
- semisubmersible drilling rig contract disputes
- lease disputes
- semisubmersible production platform – construction dispute; design, build, install vessel and mooring system
- coal supply contract
- chemical plant valuation
- dispute between oil/gas company and cryogenic plant concerning contract for gas-to-LPG conversion and LPG storage
- refinery turnaround contract
- joint interest billing disputes
- gas dedication dispute between transporter and producer
- output contract between refinery and buyer of chemical
Mediated over 400 oil and gas disputes. Arbitrated scores.
Solo arbitrator in dispute arising out of long term steam supply contract between cogen plant and chemical plant.
Chaired arbitration panel in dispute arising out of contract to expand petrochemical plant.
Several refinery construction disputes.
Several insurance claims (property loss and business interruption) arising out of significant property damage at refineries.
Mediation of refiner suit vs. pipeline arising out of pipeline explosion that impeded refiner’s ability to deliver products to market; 2-day mediation in Seattle; $500 million claim.
Mediation of dispute in London arbitration involving lease of semisubmersible rig between two drilling contractors; $150 million claim.
Mediation of dispute arising out of damage to gas turbine at cogen plant; contaminants in gas supply.
Arbitrated contract dispute between gas companies.
Arbitrated contract dispute between oil field equipment supplier and major oil company.
Mediated scores of personal injury cases arising out of accidents at drilling sites (onshore and offshore) and refineries.
CPR’s national Energy, Oil and Gas Panel of Distinguished Neutrals.
Energy Arbitrators List, a global panel of energy industry arbitrators sponsored by the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
Institute for Energy Law Directory of Energy Arbitrators.
Solo arbitrator in contract/business tort dispute between gas producer and processing plant.
Arbitrator in contract dispute involving long-term contract to supply steam to petrochemical facility.